Wednesday, March 16, 2005
 
Pre-Trip Jitters, (PART 1)
With the start of our medical mission trip to Central America only three days away, my wife Ashley has become quite excited about it. Our house is a tizzy of packing and preparation and we have suitcases and supplies everywhere.

Me, I’m a lot more apprehensive about it all. This is mostly because I've never been out of the country, let alone on a full fledged mission trip, let alone on a full fledged MEDICAL mission trip before. I can barely put a Band-Aid on myself, let alone someone else, let alone a stranger, let alone IN SPANISH. But that's okay. I have 10 qualified medical personnel and/or personnel in training, going with me on this trip who can handle Band-Aids and so much more. I'm there to be their go-fer, which is a job I can handle. I think. However, looming over me is the fact that while I don't know precisely what I'm about to get myself into.

On a gut level I know it's going to be heavy. It’s very difficult to remain unconcerned when people who would know keep assuring me that my life will never ever be the same again after this trip and that the things I will see and experience will leave me changed forever. Scary, huh?

For instance, in the library, a patron happened to overhear me talking to Ashley on the phone about our luggage situation.

"Headed out of town?" he asked when I'd hung up.

"Huh?" I said, not making the connection.

"Are you leaving town? You mentioned something about a carry-on bag?"

"Oh! Yeah. Er, no. I'm actually leaving the country." I then explained where we were goning and why. He nodded knowingly and told me it would be an enormous experience and that I would be forever changed. Turns out he had been on several mission trips to Panama. He said when he returned stateside, he felt embarassed to have so much... stuff.

I too have a lot of stuff.

Don't get me wrong; I think being forever changed by this experience will ultimately be a good thing. I know that my cynical, jaded self can use some perspective on the world and its true poverty not to mention a spiritual kick in the ass. However, being spiritually kicked in the ass still means getting kicked in the ass. It ain't fun.

Just hearing Ashley’s tales from her trip to Guatemala and Honduras in 2003, I realize I’m in for some serious heavy. We’ll be going to into places in Guatemala and El Salvador where the people have absolutely nothing. They're far poorer than most of the lower class of this country and have no access to medical care for most of their lives. There, diseases that do not exist in this country because of our health care system go untreated for years and treatable injuries become life-crippling and often deadly conditions. This is particularly true for children, who often suffer from common childhood ailments or parasite infections for months on end due to a lack of medical care. It's one thing to see it from a distance on television. It's a whole other to be up to your neck in it and partially responsible for helping alleviate some of it, if only for a brief moment.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

MT-MINUS: 3
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares

Powered by Blogger